Friday, March 29, 2013

Feels like a wall

pink dragon and witchWhile doing marketing research, I ran across a BIG problem for my future business. I was making what I considered toys. I knew about using safe materials and warning that my items had small parts. What I didn't know and has put a stop to the whole thing is that, by law, I am required to submit my products to testing for toxic substances, have a certification, and have unique lot and dates for each item. This is nigh impossible to do. I don't make lots or batches, I make individual items. They are small and of mostly natural origin, but, not entirely. The eyes on the critters are plastic beads. The core of the dolls is a pipe cleaner. I can't afford to test each item, then I don't have an item to sell. I'm not in a position to make 1000 of a single doll or critter, it would take many weeks and I'd not have a variety to offer.

Blue NessieNow, I'm stuck with questions. Do I sell the items as art? They are unique and handmade from my own imagination. Do I not sell them at all and find something else to do? I did further looking at what I could call these. Art dolls is probably a good label. Tho' I'm not sure they qualify. And where does that leave the dragons, Nessies, Pegasus, and unicorns? Are they art dolls too? Or are they something else? I could call them miniatures since the dolls are only a little over 2" tall and the critters don't top 3", minus the wings of course. Will making these something other than toys reduce my potential for sales?
purple fairy


Then there is the issue of the actual marketing. I had thought that I'd be marketing to women who buy for children. Think mom, grandma, or aunt. Now who is my market? This is a huge derailment of my thoughts for a creative business. Lots of thinking instead of doing this week because of this hiccup. My conclusion so far is that I am going to have to sell myself as an artist rather than a toy maker. But, beyond that, I'm not sure what the next step is.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Debby,

    It's amazing how government 'regulations' actually serve to crush small businssse and businesses that haven't even started yet to the benefit of big corporations who have the economies of scale to make this kind of testing possible.

    John Stossel did a show on crony-capitalism which had a section that talked about how these laws were basically encouraged by the big toy companies:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4SdBZiZnt4

    You should still be able to sell these on Etsy, eBay and the like as art dolls like you said. I'm sure if you went onto eBay forums and ask others they might have some solutions for you from their experience?

    Davy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to the youtube video. I kind of figured it was the big guys behind there being no exceptions. Ever since the problems with toys imported from China came to light, parents have been looking for toys made in the US. Mostly, that's little independent toy makers. Thanks for your support.

      Delete