Friday, August 16, 2013

Larger isn't better

large white felt dragon toy
The last couple of weeks I've been getting feedback from family members concerning my small felt stuffed animals. The feedback was that the 4 inch (100mm) critters were too small. So, I took the dragon pattern and enlarged it.

The first problem I ran across was that the wings with 2 layers of felt at the small size, did not translate well to the larger size. The wings weren't stiff enough to stand up. I cut out 3 layers of felt for each wing. The wing is better. It's certainly stiffer. However, the wings are too heavy for the rest of the dragon.

large and small felt stuffed dragon toys
The picture to the left shows the comparison of the original size, in green, and the larger size, in white. I've got the white one sitting on a shelf while I process what I learned from the experiment. I know I'm not happy with it as is. The flaws, in addition to the wings, are that the head is tilted down too much, and I somehow managed to sew the ears misaligned. The ears are operator error. The head tilt, I'm not sure what happened. I also think the legs at the larger size can use more definition. What do you think?


Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment