Saturday, June 29, 2013

The final drawers

Last week I shared with you how I made version 1 of a small parts cabinet for my desk. And, I shared how I wasn't happy with it. I proceeded to make version 2 out of book board. Let's just say, that was a failure. Not to be seen again by mortal eyes.

I resigned myself to seeing if I could find a small enough parts cabinet in the hardware store. I really wasn't happy with the metal and plastic sitting on my wood desk. Then I got the idea for version 3. I worked out the dimensions and cut into book board. I was able to create a 9 drawer cabinet that held the drawers I made previously for version 1.

desk top parts bin
It's not perfect. It does function. The drawer knobs are 10mm wood beads that I attached with perl cotton. In order to keep them from pulling out over time, I reinforced the drawer where I tied the thread.

Looking back, I'm thinking maybe I should have painted the beads blue or white to go with the rest of the cabinet. I was so jazzed that it was coming together, I just used them as they were.



open parts drawers
Here's a view with a few drawers pulled open. 
Now, onto the next project. I'm struggling with the actualization of a round vision/bulletin board. I bought a large quilting hoop to be the frame of the board and intended that it be covered with cloth. The hard part is filling the cavity behind the cloth so I can pin things to the board. There isn't cork board thick enough on it's own. (And, even if there was, it's hard enough cutting cork board 1/2 the thickness.) More on that later when I reveal it completed.



I've been doing some thinking about why I'm not making more progress getting things done in my studio and making the toys. I've also been thinking about the fact that I have fallen off my resolve to have an actual work week. I had an epiphany this last week. I'm not getting to what I want because I consider it play time. I was raised that you don't "play" until your work is done, all of your work is done. That led me to take a serious look at what playing is and how it fits into our lives at all ages. I'll be continuing on this topic in the future. For now, I will leave you with this quote.

It is a happy talent to know how to play.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
American writer
1803–1882

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment